Chicago & North Western 4160
GM EMD GP7R diesel-electric locomotive
Harold Kept many of his photos on sites which no longer exist.
|Chicago & North Western 4160 GM EMD GP7R diesel-electric locomotive in the locomotive yard just east of the Locomotive Maintenance Facility in the Proviso (Melrose Park, Illinois) rail yard.|
CNW 4160, CNW, GM EMD GP7R, CNW locomotives, Locomotives, photographed on 17 November 1998 at Proviso locomotive yard by Harold A. Driscoll using a Sony Mavica MVC-FD7 digital camera [railfan/1998/11/98b17e01.jpg]
|Previous 2 / 5|
|Next 4 / 5|
CNW 4160, model GP7, built 12/51, builder number 17597, acquired by C&NW in 1/81, previous road number RI 4506, C&NW paint scheme TY [Traditional Yellow; modern version of the "Stagecoach yellow" used from 1991 to merger]. [Source: The Final North Western Motive Power Roster. Courtesy of The Run of the Ge's, The Chicago & North Western Historical Society, Library of Congress catalog card number 95-83545, 1995, page 58.]
C&NW 4160: First Number: CRI&P 1266, Second Number: CRI&P 4506, Builder's Date: Oct 1952, Builder's Number: 17597, CRI&P Rebuilding Date: 23 Feb 1976, C&NW In-Service Date: 17 Nov 1981. Built new for Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Sold to Precision National Corp., Mt. Vernon, Ill. in 1974 or 1974. The units were leased back to CRI&P after being rebuilt for PNC by CRI&P at Silvis, Ill., by Morrison Knudsen at Bosie, Idaho, or by Illinois Central Gulf at Paducah, Ill. Upon CRI&P shutdown in April 1980, all units were returned to PNC. C&NW purchased 119 units (109 GP7Rs and 10 GP9Rs) in February 1981 from PNC, sending 61 older units to PNC as trade-in. EMD GP7R, 55 units, B-B, 16-567B engine, 61:16 gear ratio, 1,500 horsepower, 265,000 pounds operating weight. [courtesy of Diesels of the Chicago & North Western, Paul K Withers, roster by Don Strack, Withers Publishing, ISBN 1-881411-07-0, 1995.]
C&NW 4160 was built in October 1952, GM EMD GP7R, builder number 17597, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 1266, later numbered as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 4506. Purchased by Precision National Corporation, Mr. Vernon, Illinois, in 1974 or 1975, rebuilt in 1957 or 1976 for Precision National Corporation, and leased back to Chicago Rock Island & Pacific. Returned to Precision National Corporation after Chicago Rock Island & Pacific shut down in April 1980 and leased to C&NW, entering service in 1981. [courtesy of Union Pacific Locomotive Directory, Don Strack, Withers Publishing, ISBN 1-881411-16-8, 1998]
CNW 4160: yard switcher, EMD GP7, 1,500 hp. [courtesy of Roster of UPRR Locomotive Ownership, January 1, 1999.]
Chicago Rail Photographs collection updated 11 June 2020 at 00:47. Photographs and text copyright © 1998-2000 Harold A. Driscoll, All Rights Reserved. Email address is provided exclusively for personal contact, but emphatically not for use for SPAM net.abuse.