Harold Kept many of his photos on sites which no longer exist.
|Chicago & North Western 4190 GM EMD GP7R diesel-electric locomotive running lite at the Chicago Passenger Terminal.|
CNW 4190, CNW, GM EMD GP7R, CNW locomotives, Locomotives, photographed on 1 September 1999 at Chicago Passenger Terminal by Harold A. Driscoll using a Sony Mavica MVC-FD88 digital camera [railfan/1999/09/99901190.jpg] NEW 1 November 1999
|Previous 109 / 160|
|Next 111 / 160|
C&NW 4190 performs switching duties at the Chicago Passenger Terminal.
CNW 4190, model GP7, built 12/52, builder number 17612, acquired by C&NW in 1/81, previous road number RI 4536, C&NW paint scheme TY [Traditional Yellow; modern version of the "Stagecoach yellow" used from 1991 to merger], renumber planned to UP 464. [Source: The Final North Western Motive Power Roster. Courtesy of The Run of the Ge's, The Chicago & North Western Historical Society, Library of Congress catalog card number 95-83545, 1995, page 58.]
C&NW 4190: First Number: CRI&P 1281, Second Number: CRI&P 4536, Builder's Date: Nov 1952, Builder's Number: 17612, CRI&P Rebuilding Date: 9 Sep 1976, C&NW In-Service Date: 10 Sep 1981. Built new for Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Sold to Precision National Corp., Mt. Vernon, Ill. in 1974 or 1974. The units were leased back to CRI&P after being rebuilt for PNC by CRI&P at Silvis, Ill., by Morrison Knudsen at Bosie, Idaho, or by Illinois Central Gulf at Paducah, Ill. Upon CRI&P shutdown in April 1980, all units were returned to PNC. C&NW purchased 119 units (109 GP7Rs and 10 GP9Rs) in February 1981 from PNC, sending 61 older units to PNC as trade-in. EMD GP7R, 55 units, B-B, 16-567B engine, 61:16 gear ratio, 1,500 horsepower, 265,000 pounds operating weight. [courtesy of Diesels of the Chicago & North Western, Paul K Withers, roster by Don Strack, Withers Publishing, ISBN 1-881411-07-0, 1995.]
C&NW 4190 was built in November 1952, GM EMD GP7R, builder number 17612, as Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 1281, later numbered Chicago Rock Island & Pacific 4536. Purchased by Precision National Corporation, Mr. Vernon, Illinois, in 1974 or 1975, rebuilt in 1957 or 1976 for Precision National Corporation, and leased back to Chicago Rock Island & Pacific. Returned to Precision National Corporation after Chicago Rock Island & Pacific shut down in April 1980 and leased to C&NW, entering service in 1981. Equipped with C&NW Automatic Train Stop and Automatic Train Control on both ends to operate in either direction over the Metra commute district in Chicago. [courtesy of Union Pacific Locomotive Directory, Don Strack, Withers Publishing, ISBN 1-881411-16-8, 1998]
CNW 4190: yard switcher, EMD GP7, 1,500 hp. [courtesy of Roster of UPRR Locomotive Ownership, January 1, 1999.]
Equipment characteristics of CNW 4190: AAR car type D112 (locomotive), external dimensions (length 55' 11", width 10' 3", height 15' 5"). [courtesy of BNSF Equiptment Characteristics, October 1999]
Chicago Rail Photographs collection updated 28 November 2023 at 12:29. Photographs and text copyright © 1998-2000 Harold A. Driscoll, All Rights Reserved. Email address is provided exclusively for personal contact, but emphatically not for use for SPAM net.abuse.